Sunday, September 28, 2008

What I really want to be...

When I was younger, I went through different phases of wanting to be a teacher, a dancer, an actor and a flight attendant. When I was a senior in High School, I wished I could become a social worker. I wanted to be able to help kids with family problems or any people who needed help.

However, Mrs. Lynn, a friend of my mother talked me out of it. Mrs. Lynn is a social worker for many years, she advised that the job required more than four years of college, and was a difficult job to find with low paying. I did not know if her information was relevant but I took her words and did not make my wish of becoming a social worker come true.

Now, at the age of 21, I have realized what I want to be the most is to be a happy person. I just want to live a simple life with the people I love, be around with great people and friends, have a stable job, and perhaps, be able to travel from time to time.

3 comments:

Tanya Darling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanya Darling said...

I liked your high school dream--to be a social worker. I've considered that from time to time, especially after watching the TV show "Judging Amy." I have heard similar things about the profession: low pay, lots of hard work, and a lot of heartache and frustration. If your friend was able to dissuade you, I'm sure there is a better career for you that will make you happy.

Stacy said...

I think you were a typical adolescent with trying to decide what you wanted to be when you grow up. I did the same exact thing. I went from one extreme to the other just last year I changed my major from Psychology to Communications. I also wwanted to help people, mainly because I went through some rough times where I could have used some help from an unbiased persective. Anyway, I completely agree with how you look at what you want to be when you grow up. Just being happy is self fulfilling in and of itself. What else do you need when you have the people you love to be around and doing nothing other than whats makes you happy everyday. Of course not everyday will be fantastic because life would just be plain and who wants that? We live and we learn and everything we go through would be meaningless if we didn't have the people we loved.